Lars Callebro, CEO and part owner of Svenska Taco Bar AB, has answered the most frequently asked questions regarding what it’s like running your very own Taco Bar
What do I need to take into account if I want to run my own Taco Bar?
- The most important thing is that you have a genuine interest in running a restaurant. If you do, you can fill in the form found under the heading “Want to know more?” or <Click here>. If we find your application interesting we will contact you for an initial meeting where we will discuss Taco Bar and what it’s like being a franchisee. This meeting isn’t formal – the purpose is really just for us to get to know one another. It’s important that there is a mutual interest in order for us to become a strong team together; if you decide to join us you will be signing a five-year contract with us.
Who chooses the premises?
- Either you’ve already found a premise or we have one and are searching for someone who wants to open a Taco Bar there. We want premises in an A-location where the customer base is large. Ideally the premise is roughly 120- 200 sqm in a street location or a shopping center. However, there are Taco Bar restaurants that are 55 sqm to 180 sqm.
Am I allowed to design the restaurant myself?
- The foundation is set and we follow a concept, however we can do minor adjustments to suit your requests. However, we have to ensure that the restaurant is adjusted to fit the terms that apply in your premise. We at Taco bar will plan the restaurant to ensure that it’s in line with the concept and to guarantee that it follows the rules and regulations set by the government and different institutions.
Can I build the restaurant by myself?
- If you are of the handy type you can most probably do it, however we recommend using a contractor that we know does a good job, has high quality standards and that doesn’t overextend the time and budget. It is important that your choice is well thought through considering that you yourself pay for the building expenses. We will gladly assist you in finding a good selection of different contractors.
How do I get educated in running a Taco Bar?
- Before you get to open your own restaurant it’s mandatory that you attend our basic education program and also work at another Taco Bar to actually learn the job. Even your employees need to attend our basic education program. We will gladly assist you with experienced employees during the start-up phase to ensure that everything is in place before you and your team take over. During the rest of the year you will be receiving continuous support from our operations consultants who will assist you in developing your business and your team.
- We have regular meetings with all the franchisees during the course of the year where we present the marketing budget and discuss how we together can push the concept to new heights.
- Joint marketing includes subway campaigns, radio commercials, facebook ads and all the materials found in the restaurant – signs, menus etc. We hope you will conduct your own marketing in your local market; this is however something that you yourself will have to pay for.
Will I like it?
- It’s a tough job, but at the same time it’s a lot of fun. You have to be ready to work more than you usually do at a “regular job”, at least during the first two years. See it as an investment – you’re creating value in the restaurant, something you can accumulate if you decide to sell it in the future.
- We as franchisers and franchisees are both incentivized by the exact same things – a feeling of freedom, doing something for yourself and being in control of your own time and state.